Wednesday 7 December 2011

"Isn't Christmas just an old Pagan festival?"

While I was on the bus today, I asked a guy if he was looking forward to Christmas.  He said Christmas was such a joke and that people don't seem to realize that Christmas is just an old Pagan festival.   I noticed that all the ears on the bus then turned to us as they usually do on the bus.  People intently listen but don't want to get caught eavesdropping so they don't make eye contact. :)

So first I said that I wanted to acknowledge that this is actually close to the truth.  Back in the day the Romans did celebrate the winter solstice on Dec 25 (incorrectly because the solstice is on the 21st) and had the Pagan feast of the Unconquerable Sun.   He seemed to be very pleased, because he said he knew it was Pagan just didn't know the name of the festival.

Second I explained that Christmas did not evolve out of this festival but was set up in rivalry to it.  Christmas(Christ's Festival) was set up to celebrate and announce Christ's superiority over all other superstitions and gods such as the sun god.

Today those Roman Gods and superstitions are forgotten, but we still celebrate that God Himself entered into history and saved us.  The evidence of his life abounds, both in history and in the changed lives of Christians today who have had a personal encounter with him.

I gave him my email and I hope we can talk again soon

No comments:

Post a Comment