Sunday 11 December 2011

"Believing in God is just as silly as believing in Santa Claus"

I encounter this objection weekly Id guess.  I was just talking about this online now, which reminded me of a few experiences Ive had.  Ive had many people believe this to be a knockdown argument and never expect a comeback or refutation.  Richard Dawkins uses this idea quite a bit.

So as people get older they lose their belief in Santa Claus but the same is not always true with God, why is that?

People will say that there is no evidence for God, and there is no evidence for Santa so its the same type of belief.  Now obviously I believe there is tremendous evidence for God but I will not explore that in this blog entry.  I will stick with the ideas of why we lose belief in Santa and not the same with God.

The reason people stop believing in Santa is not because of lack of evidence.  It is because of positive evidence against the existence of Santa.  There is no one at the north pole, no one delivering presents on Christmas etc. 

Now what about God.  Is there any positive evidence against God?  In thousands of years no one has come up with an argument that will hold up.

Ask any criminologist, you cannot prove something is untrue based on lack of evidence.  Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

So we are left at this point with no evidence against God, so that alone will show that you cant compare God with Santa Claus.  Now of course there are many objections to the existence of God such as the existence of evil and such.   But no one considers this evidence against God.  This blog is about answering those questions and if I haven't already done so that is one of my favourite questions so I will get on it very soon

No comments:

Post a Comment