Sunday 14 October 2012

"Will there be animals in Heaven?"



Ive received a few questions from my blog recently, which I really enjoy.  Mostly this blog has been about objections I receive but I am very happy to give it my best shot to answer questions.  I just want to clarify again, I am merely a layman.  I'm just trying to be a $1 apologist is J Warner Wallace suggests :)

    First I would like  to point out that we do not have a straight forward answer regarding this question in scripture.  But that does not mean that we don't have many verses that speak towards this issue.  Also before I begin I would like to say that animals are very important to God.  Just see Psalm 50:11 "I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are mine."  Also its amazing to see the deep emotional connections that humans make with animals.  I have had 2 cats pass away and the loss was very deep.  So I would also like to point out that animals are very important to people, and people are very important to God so something meaningful is going on here.



   Animals were a big part of the original creation, in Eden.   Animals are an amazing part of creation, maybe one of the best parts!  So in the restored creation it makes sens that animals would continue to be a part of creation.  The is just simply no reason to think that this amazing part of creation would be left out in Heaven.

   "But will my cat Puddles be there?  Do animals have souls?"

Animals are referred to as "living creatures" in Genesis 1:20 and throughout church history this has been understood as having a soul.  But a soul that is qualitatively different than a human soul.  Thomas Aquinas taught that an animal's soul is dependent on the body.  So when the body dies so does the soul.  This also hard to back up with scripture but there is a good point there.

So will my same pet be in Heaven?  Why not? is my answer.  There is no reason to not think so.  I am open to more info, but for right now I don't really know but have no reason to not think so.  God is a God who loves to lavish love on his children, so what ever is in store will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment