Saturday 5 May 2012

Philippians 4:13 : The Superman Verse???

"I can do all this through him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:13) 


We see this verse on many many athletes.  It is tattoo's on the chest of current UFC light heavy weight champion Jon Jones.  It was also famously written under the eyes of NFL quarterback Tim Tebow and on the shorts of former heavyweight boxing champion Evander Holyfield.  So is this verse speaking about the idea that you can accomplish anything with the help of God?  Is this the verse to hold onto when you wonder if you can accomplish anything?  While this may very well be true, this is not what this verse is talking about at all.

First lets consider the context of this verse.  One of my favoirte teachers Dr Ben Witherington said in a lecture I was recently “a text without a context is just a pretext for whatever you want it to mean.”  This speaks directly to people who say that "there are many many interpretations of the Bible", or that "you can make the bible say whatever you want it to."  I have only taken a few history classes in college but I remember one professor would always say "context, context context" and "context is everything" This is completely true, even if we look at our own lives, most of us at one time or another have been "taken out of context" and its terrible.  It usually takes a lot of explaining and clean up to help whoever it is to understand that you were taken out of context and what the intention of your words were.

So the setting of the book of Philippians is Paul being held in prison.  Forget what you think about prison as we know it today.  This type of prison was a place where people were sent to rot.  Paul probably wouldn't have even eaten unless someone who knew him brought him a meal.  He didn't sit around watching TV all day and exercising in the yard, this was a terrible place.  So now that we have the setting lets just simply have a look at the verses before verse 13.  Most people know that you should always read the verses preceding a verse which will help you to not take it out of context.

Philippians 4:10-13
I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me.  Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Now it is quite clear what Paul is talking about here.  He is thanking the Philippians and saying that he is able to endure all things.  Whether he is experiencing highs and lows, if he is hungry or well fed, in the penthouse or in the outhouse.  He is not talking about dreaming about the future and thinking the sky is the limit!  Now I don't know why these athletes have this verse all around them, I really don't know much about the faith of Jon Jones (but I know a lot about his fights) I don't know much about the Theology of Evander Holyfield except that he is steeped in the "health and wealth prosperity gospel" which Ill address in a later blog.  One thing I will say is that prosperity gospel people would probably interpret this verse to be a superman verse.  Finally with Tim Tebow, I really don't know enough, but I will say that all that I do know points to him being legit.  He seems to be humble, volunteers overseas, and his doctrine seems to be sound, but I am open to the evidence. 

So this is an amazing verse, but we cannot take it and twist it to suit our purposes.  It is clearly about being content in all situations, if we are rich or poor, hungry or well fed.  So when bad things happen in our lives, and we question God's plan, we should turn to this verse.  If we lose our jobs, and cant pay the bills, we should remember that Paul was content in prison.  When our friends abandon us and people make fun of us we should cling to this verse for strength. 

When we dream big, we should just say "Lord willing"
 

James 4:13-16
"13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.”14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil."

No comments:

Post a Comment