Wednesday 4 January 2012

"aren't Mormons and Christians the same?"

  Today in the coffee shop I was reading Hank Hannegraaff's book "Has God Spoken?"  with a title like that I was bound for someone to start a conversation with me.  So a guy asked me if I was happy that Mitt Romney had won the Iowa caucus.  I said not really but I wondered why he asked me.  He replied that I'm guessing you are christian because of your book and Mitt Romney is also Christian.  So we chatted for about 10 mins about how Mitt Romney is actually a Mormon and not Christian at all.

  So what exactly are the differences between Mormons and Christians?  Are we the same or very different?

  Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses are somewhat frequent guests at my house, I am always happy to have them over.  This is for a few reasons, first when I was first looking into the question of Gods existence I met a group of JW's at the local subway and they were happy to meet with me once a week and talk.  We did for about 2 months.  Second,  I am amazed at how much the Mormons and JW's really live out their faith.  I meet Christians all the time who act like undercover agents.  But most of the Mormons and JW's I meet are bold and really involved in living out their faith.  Third, these people really enjoy talking about God and will consider your viewpoint.

So, I do have a lot of experience with both and know that they really do have some very interesting beliefs that just don't hold up to the evidence.  When you read the Book of Mormon for example it reads as a book of fiction.  Archaeology does not support the book of Mormon, nor does history or anthropology.  But rather than go into a detailed account of the differences today I will just talk about the couple things that I always talk about with both groups when I first meet them.

Now I think it is important to say that I only talk about a couple points because I am trying to foster a relationship, not win a knockdown argument with a landslide of issues and points.  The second time we meet we will go further into their beliefs and challenge them.


Both groups accept the Bible as God's word so they will accept a Biblical case for this fact.  So I am usually happy to use their own Bible, but they are also happy to use the King James Version.  Both groups usually get uncomfortable when you pull out your NIV or ESV.

First they do not believe Jesus to be God.  Second they believe you have to work your way into heaven and they hold no assurance of salvation.

So when talking about Jesus being God ill challenge them to explain a few verses.  There are many, but I usually go with two and then we can talk further if they are up to it.  I go with John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.  this really is the Christological climax of John's gospel after Thomas encountered the risen Jesus face to face and actually touches His crucifixion wounds.  Thomas proclaims Jesus as Lord and God.  Second Ill talk about Hebrews 1:8 "But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom." here God is speaking to Jesus and calling him God.  So these are two great verses to talk about with your Mormon and JW friends.  Many Christians go right for John 1:1-3 but the JW's dispute the translation of this verse.  It has no merit because no Greek scholars were included in their "new world translation" but still its better to stick with what they do accept.  Also I will throw in Colossians 1:16-17 usually.


With working their way to heaven I will speak about how the Bible is very clear that we cannot get to heaven based on our own good works and that we can be assured that we are saved.  Ill use Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:not of works, lest any man should boast." this is very clear that salvation is by God's grace not by works.  Also I will use Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."  I think this one is pretty self explanatory.  Actually I believe Galatians is the perfect book for both groups. 

Lastly for assurance of salvation Ill go with 1 John 5:13 "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."  I think this clearly shows that John wants us to have assurance of our salvation and that we can have it. 

So that is just a quick little talk about Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.  I hope the next time they knock on your door you wont turn them away.  They are are our neighbours like anybody else and need Jesus just as much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment